All business business date.

I'm not really starting this blog out too well since I've only written one post and that was almost a week ago! So horrible. Hopefully it will become a habit soon so I can really get it going. I've had several dates since my last post but I guess I'll share my most recent one.

Saturday night I had a date with a new client, one no one else in the agency had been out with. These are always a little extra exciting and sometimes make me a little nervous. Yes, I do get nervous! You just never know who you're going to meet and some men are a little strange. I know they've been checked out as much as possible and that gives some peace of mind but there's still that little voice in the back of your mind wondering if this is the one that will be a real freak. He sounded nice but somewhat shy on the phone. Actually he even sounded a little nervous which I'm not used to at all. Usually the men are very confident and honestly it's always bit of a turn on. This guy just sounded like he wasn't sure what to say and has probably never done something quite like this before. But it's fine, I was ready to walk him through it and I'm usually pretty good at making people feel comfortable (I don't mean that in a sexual way.)

Anyway, I only had two hours notice to get ready for the date since another girl he was originally scheduled with backed out at the last second. The agency frowns on last minute cancellations but no one is going to force anyone out on a date. So they called me asking if I could take her place even though I had requested no dates for the night. I wanted a night in but I felt bad that the guy was left hanging with so little notice so I agreed. When I called him he was relieved that someone else was able to step in but like I said the nervousness was definitely in his voice. So getting ready was sort of a rush to pick my outfit and decide on hair and make-up. Since he seemed very reserved I went for a conservative look that would fit in at the business dinner we were attending. He had already been informed of the rates through the agency as usual but he gave no hint that he had any plans or expectations for after the dinner. Either way, I was looking forward to going out even though my original plan was curling up on a couch watching a movie.

I arrived at the party where I met up with my date for the night who we'll call Mr. No Smiles. Like I suspected he was very quiet. Didn't really say too much to me other than the basic small talk. He introduced me as his date and not a single person asked how we met or any of the typical questions. I got the impression that all his colleagues have just accepted that Mr. No Smiles is very reserved and doesn't seem to really engage in social conversation. I was actually wondering why he attended at all since he seemed to have no real interest in talking with any of the people he worked with. Honestly? I would bet he doesn't even like anyone there. I soon found out the reason he attended when he informed me that he was being recognized for an account he worked on and that's all the information he offered up. I just had to pretend I knew what was going on and continue to keep him engaged. It wasn't easy since he was probably the least interesting person I've ever met. Wow, that sounds kind of bitchy but it's true. My work was cut out for me.

After 3 hours and a very short and uninspired speech by Mr. No Smiles later he stated that he would now like to leave. As we waited out front for the valet to bring his car he thanked me for my company and said he may call on me again. That was it. Payment was made and he got in his car and left. I was floored! I've never had that happen or anything even close. Granted I've only been doing this for a total of 4 months but I know this was a rare situation based on chats with the other girls. So I hailed a cab and went home still reeling from the night I just had. I was literally back in my apartment by 9:30pm. Seriously unheard of for me especially since I started doing this. The only good thing was I had $3,000 sitting in my clutch. Not bad for 3 hours. Yes it was 3 hours of boring but hey, whatever.

The weirdest part? He sent me an email two days later thanking me for a fun evening. I don't know what date he was on because clearly we weren't on the same one. I had more fun traveling to and from the party than I did actually with him. And for anyone who has ever been in a New York taxi knows how much fun those can be. You can cue the eye roll now.

In the end, I still ended up having my night of movies since I was in so early. I guess you could say I sort of got my way and still ended up paid very well. I'm already scheduled for a date this Thursday and I'm really hoping for a fun night. The guy had a sexy voice so my fingers are crossed. =)
Category: 2 comments

2 comments:

*~Dani~* said...

Okay, this totally reminds me of a blind date I went on once. The guy said almost nothing. It was like pulling teeth. He didn't even take off his coat the entire time we were at the coffeehouse. Horrific. Then he calls me later that same day to see if I want to do it again! What? I felt like we were on two completely different dates. I totally understand where you were coming from on that one.

I so need to blog about my blind date disasters.

Unknown said...

Just came across your blog... where did you go